Topic from Saturday 05 Dec 2020

• ZS6ADY
  • ZS6ADY's Avatar Topic Author
  • An avid collector of valve radio's, licensed 1984
More
3 years 7 months ago #38 by ZS6ADY
Our topic of discussion this morning was "What makes any particular radio better than any other...why your choice of radio ?"
This was looking particularly at old radio's. Why do you in particular like the brand of radio that you use and collect.
Why was Collins perceived as being so good, was asked by Renato ZS6REN.

Post your comments on this topic.

Andy ZS6ADY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #40 by ZS6TF
Full marks to Chris ZS6GM for a brilliant contribution to this net concerning receiver performance checks. I think with expansion it could be the basis of a good article. His opening comment suggested that to do these tests is within reach of the average technically enabled amateur with readily available gear. I made shorthand notes of the transmission which I sent to Chris to expand on it . I would like details of a home brewable resistive combiner for the sig gen signals.
I have 3 sig gens, a Rohde & Schwarz SMDU, a Wavetek model 3000, and a Marconi TF995A/2M. These were all el cheapos from fleamarkets or private purchase. Renato fixed the Wavetek for me. The Marconi I got recently for £20. They all have good step attenuators. My 3 AVO 8/9's I have no dB scales but my Philips PM 2503 has a great spec and would do the job well. The idea would be to test 2 receivers of the same type, both HRO MX's which in their day were high performers. The one is bog standard but previously owned by Stan Sway a radio designer, and the other which belonged to XYL Gill's dad that has been updated with minature valves and appears to be a "hot" receiver.
73, Richard, F4WCD/ZS6TF
The following user(s) said Thank You: kernel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.