Patrick Yeadon ZS1PDY

• ZS6ADY
  • ZS6ADY's Avatar Topic Author
  • An avid collector of valve radio's, licensed 1984
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #60 by ZS6ADY
Patrick Yeadon ZS1PDY was created by ZS6ADY
From Peter Burgers, ZS1PJB

Some 28 years ago, as the owner of an aged Series 3 Land Rover our family joined the Land Rover Club for an outing to a trout farm nestled in the mountains at the top of the duToits Kloof pass. It was there that we first met Patrick Yeadon and his wife Liz Chatting to Patrick over the mandatory braai fire and a couple of beers, I found that he and I had a number of common interests: Land Rovers obviously, fixing them [also obviously as they need lots of care and attention], and then – electronics. And so began this friendship that lasted for 28 years.

Many were the Land rover outings that we went on, camping trips over the Easter weekends, Christmas functions, New year’s outings to Brandvlei dam; points events where we could practice negotiating all manner of obstacles , hopefully without breaking our Land Rovers and spending yet another small fortune repairing them. In those days the Club still used CBs to communicate with each other, but Patrick & I being the “Ham elite” had the benefit of 2m. Many were the times that we sat and pored over dead CB’s repairing them, and getting them back to working status for club members. Always a free service to the members. Then of course there was the setting up of the CB and tuning the aerials for best SWR.

Very often at a club outing he would start walking towards me in a very odd fashion, loudly proclaiming “walk this way” Monty Python was one of his favourites, second only to Spike Milligan.

Patrick never ever, ever “fiddled” with a radio or a vehicle. He always “puggled” with it. If it was a particularly difficult problem I would be called to “ come and have a ‘looking type gaze’ ” at the offending beast and see if between us we could sort it out.

Somewhere along the road he discovered the joys of little glass tubes glowing comfortingly in the winter’s nights and started collecting Hybrid rigs. All of this came at a cost in the form of replacement parts, test equipment and the like. Of course, the next step was to become a member of the AWA.

Soon he had graduated to using Morningstar and when he and Liz went to Canada for a long holiday, he amused himself by logging on to Morningstar using his smartphone and having qso’s from all over Canada. Somewhere around the mid 90’s Patrick discovered “round tuits.” If he had missed doing something or couldn’t find the time his standard response was “ I just need to get a “round tuit”.

And so, we come to the end of his full and busy life- taken so suddenly from us, with no warning.

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by ZS6ADY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.